Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sour food from my garden

I like sour food. When I was little, all I can remember wanting to eat is sauerkraut and dill pickles. (And process cheese and potatoes...) As an adult, sour is still one of my favourite tastes.

Although my garden is quite pitiful, I have ensured I have a supply of my sour favourites.


Gooseberries.

Nasty little sour berries that eventually ripen on some other alternate universe, but never in any garden I've ever seen. Add a little sugar to these babies, though and they're magical. I'm not sure what I'll make with these - maybe some gooseberry pereshki or milch moos if my mom will teach me how.


(What is a gooseberry pereshki, you ask? My mother's rendition is a handheld pastry filled with the tart berries and a bit of sugar. Here is one of my mom's goosberry pereshki, baked fresh:)



Rhubarb. This is the saddest little rhubarb plant in the world, but its presence is comforting. Thank goodness I have friends that have more rhubarb than they can handle.




Sorrel.


The secret ingredient for somma borscht and a tart addition to salads. Every year I buy another sorrel plant, and every year it kind of disappears for different reasons. This year the plant is looking pretty robust.


No comments: