Sunday, December 03, 2006

I hate baking!

Now... in my younger years, I loved baking.
I loved finding new recipes that required precision and attention to detail. Complicated torte recipes, cheesecakes, florentines drizzled with chocolate - I even made fruitcake one year when I was 19. Even though I never had much of a sweet tooth, I would visit friends and bring them treats and generally just bake for the sheer joy of baking.

I don't know exactly when it happened, but the thrill is now gone. Or maybe yesterday night I just lacked inspiration or patience. Or maybe I just need a bigger kitchen for baking. Or maybe I just needed to know that my new oven really means 430 degrees when it says 400. Regardless of my new ennui towards the sugar and spice arts - I persevered. And I managed to get three batches of treats of the (too hot) oven.
Batch one: Vital Geback.
These came from a recipe that my mom got from a German friend. They kind of taste like sesame snaps, but with sunflower seeds and almonds too. However, I burnt many of the almonds when I was attempting to toast them, so I threw in some pepitas to make up for the lack of almonds. Then I overbaked the whole batch.
The recipe said to bake them for about 15 minutes. I checked them at 13 and they were starting to overbrown. Then I waited too long to cut them into slices (you have to cut them while they're still quite warm) so some of the pieces shattered. But they are still edible, especially if you suscribe to the notion that burnt sugar is an exotic and delicious flavour.

Batch two: Lime and Pepita Sugar Cookies.

This recipe came to me from the Rebar cookbook, by way of lovely Kreesta Doucette. They are kind of like a sugar cookie with lime zest and pumpkin seeds. Thankfully, they are hard to screw up, and so they actually turned out quite well. I should have taken them out of the oven sooner to keep them a little softer, but the hot oven foiled me again.

Batch Three: Chocolate Chip cookies

This was the batch that nearly killed me. This recipe was nominated the best chewy chocolate chip recipe ever by the folks at Chowhound ( I think it's originally from Cooks Illustrated) but by this time I had lost all patience for careful measuring and delicate mixing. I should also mention a large part of the frustration of the day was due to the fact that my sugar was mostly comprised of huge, hard lumps that I had to crush down to be able to use for these recipes. I keep big bags of sugar and flour in the pantry in the basement and I guess it's too damp for the sugar.

Those lumps of sugar broke my spirit. At one point I was literally yelling out my frustration and was throwing stuff around the kitchen until Jeff came downstairs to see what the hell was going on... Even though I had read that you really needed to follow all instructions down to the letter for them to turn out just right, I just wanted to be done with the horrible things!
So I don't know if it was the hasty mixing/measuring or the hot oven, but they turned out very average and not-chewy.

Sigh... I think I will just have to leave baking to others more dedicated to the craft. Or at least stick to one recipe at a time - mixing up a new batch of dough when you have to pay close attention to the batch currently in the oven is probably not a great idea.

I shall endeavour to learn from these mistakes. I promise.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a chance I can get a copy of the 'vital geback' recipe from you please?
I have been trying to get a recipe for months!
I first had the commercial version of those cookies over a year ago in switzerland and since then I've tried converting sesame snap recipes with little success. I only have the name 'vital geback' now because I just got back from Berlin after stocking up on six packets of the biscuits.
It was like christmas!

froddard said...

Hi, Carolyn.

I don't have an e-mail address for you for sending you this recipe, as your identity is not public, so I hope you check back to this post!

Here is the recipe for Vital Geback: (original measurements are by weight - I've included volume measurements as well.)

500 grams unsalted sunflower seeds (about 2 1/2 cups)
140 gram sesame seeds (2/3 cup)
100 gram chopped almonds (1/2 cup)
(mix the above and roast lightly)

50gram butter (about 1/4 cup)
150 gram sugar (about 2/3 cup)
1 package vanilla sugar
2 Tbsp honey
100 gram whipping cream (about 1/2 cup)
Bring to a boil and mix with seeds.
Place on a pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden.
Cut into squares while still warm.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Sorry, I found your website finally, hidden within my bookmarks. Can't wait to try it. I started a new job two months ago, so I haven't had time for anything lately. But I am immensely looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks again.

Carolyn

p.s I seem to be technically incompetent hence the apparent lack of e-mail address... I'll work it out eventually.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,
I am delighted to tell you I tried your Vital Geback recipe and it is pretty darn close! I have looked everywhere for this recipe and thank you for sharing. I had to have the vanilla sugar shipped in from Germany to N.C. but otherwise I had no problems with the recipe and we are really enjoying these. Thanks! Mary

Anonymous said...

One more thing from me/Mary... be sure to use the parchment paper. The first batch I made I did not have this paper and was it ever a mess trying to get it out of the pan! Second batch I used the paper and cut it after about 20-30 minutes of cooling (while it was still more warm than cool) and the squares came out perfect and did not stick to the pan/paper. The vanilla sugar isn't available in our grocery stores. I did have some shipped from Germany but I also made a batch substituting a teaspoon of vanilla stired into the boiled mix after you remove it from the heat and it seemed to work fine. Thanks again for the recipe. It's excellent! Mary